Applied Flavor Science and Technology
In compiling this year’s Flavor & Fragrance Leaderboard (Page 26), P&F interviewed many of the industry’s top executives. The market, which is currently valued at an estimated $22.9 billion, is undergoing profound changes. Emerging markets, talent development, biotechnology and green
chemistry, health and wellness solutions, backward integration of supply chains, and consolidation—these
are just some of the key issues occupying the minds of the F&F industry’s thought leaders. In every case,
the emphasis was not limited to accumulating consumer insights, technologies and expertise, but also to
applying them for customers and consumers around the world.
It is this applied science and technology that lies at the heart
of our latest undertaking, Flavorcon ( www.flavorcon.com).
Taking place November 18–19 in Atlantic City, Flavorcon intersects flavor, food science and product development for flavorists,
applications staff, food scientists, product developers, marketers,
consumer product company professionals and more. This live,
interactive forum will offer practical tools for flavor and product
development through ingredient, formulation and applied sensory
insights. Attendees will be able to learn, interact and bring back
tools to their teams.
Flavorcon’s program has been created under the direction of
an advisory board of professionals and liaisons from some of the
industry’s leading organizations:
• David Bowen, Citrus, Flavor Creation, Global Citrus Center,
• Markus Eckert, Senior Vice President of Innovation, Kerry
Ingredients & Flavors
• Matthias Guentert, President, Symrise Flavor & Nutrition Division,
• Judith Michalski, Senior Flavorist, Bell Flavors & Fragrances
• John Wright, Consulting Flavor Chemist
• Alpa Roman, President, Chemical Sources Association (CSA)
• Cyndie Lipka, Treasurer, Society of Flavor Chemists (SFC)
• Celine Roche, President, Women in Flavor & Fragrance Commerce
• Arthur Curran, President, National Association of Flavors and
Food-Ingredient Systems (NAFFS)
• Mat Gulick, Communications Director, Flavor and Extract
Manufacturers Association (FEMA)
From left: Chris Diienno (drom), president of the American Society of
Perfumers, and Jeb Gleason-Allured and Nicole Urbanowicz (both
P&F) at the Fragrance Foundation Awards breakfast in New York; look
for coverage in the July issue of P&F.
Compare 2012 and 2013 Leaderboards
Read the last year’s Flavor & Fragrance Leaderboard
feature at www.perfumerflavorist.com/ffleaderboard.
November 18–19, 2013
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
Atlantic City, NJ
Stay Informed, Stay Connected
Conference program details are continuously updated at
www.flavorcon.com. Highlights include:
• Flavor Value with Peter Schieberle (Chair for Food Chemistry,
Technical University of Munich): Applied understanding of the
flavor compounds generated during food processing, including ho w
flavor compounds affect aroma signature and sensory preference.
• Judith Michalski (Senior Flavorist, Bell Flavors & Fragrances):
Tasting/smelling panel of new and unusual flavor materials.
• John Wright (Independent Flavorist and Author): Applying Flavor
Materials for Unique Effects
Look to this space for more details next month. In the meantime,
visit www.flavorcon.com. See you next month.
Jeb Gleason-Allured, Editor in Chief
Vol. 38 • June 2013 | Perfumer & Flavorist